Empire Stores – Brooklyn, New York
Owner’s Representative and Project Manager for Ownership group of the 400,000+ square foot renovation/new construction of the Historic Landmarked building into a mixed-use retail and office project known as Empire Stores at 55 Water Street in Brooklyn. Responsibilities began with the planning, design and construction document stage, carried through approvals, budgeting, bidding, contract negotiations, scheduling, financial management, followed by Base Building Construction, Tenant Coordination and Project Close Out.
Project was complex and challenging, containing the following key elements:
- 5’-6” deep excavation inside the existing structure
- Installation of 980 piles
- New 30” deep concrete mat foundation
- 100+ new openings through 28” stone schist walls
- Creation of open-air atrium in center of the building
- Creation of Public park on the 5th floor
- Complete renovation of existing 330,000 sq ft building.
- Construction of 70,000 sq. ft. steel, concrete and glass addition married to the existing heavy timber and masonry construction.
- Over 500 new windows
- Replicated original metal shutters
- Construction of four (4) rooftop ConEd electrical vaults to house (4) 2,500 kva transformers (27kv 277/480v)
- 12 new MRL Elevators
- All new Water/Sprinkler Service and Plumbing
- All new HVAC, 1500 tons of Colling tower capacity
- All new electrical
- New building wide fire alarm system
- LEED Silver